Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Why free software exists: Introduction

Here I am going to tell you about my idea about how and why the idea of free software came about. You’ll see that my lines of reasoning are somewhat same as that used by Richard Stallman in his essays/speeches. But some part of my idea has a logical reasoning which is a product of my own understanding after reading Stallman. I think I may have contributed a little bit more.

Stallamn’s essay mainly deals with his lifetime experiences and brings about the concept of free software simultaneously with the development of the GNU/Linux operating system. Reading his essays will give you a proper foundation, but I suggest all of you, irrespective of whether you are a computer expert or not, you must come to discover faults with the current system of proprietary software licenses on your own. But in the end you must understand the choice is however yours in deciding between the two.

I’ve divided this topic into a series of posts:
  • Part 1
  • Part 2
  • Part 3